Struck by Objects
There are many things vying for our attention every day, and a lack of focus on the task at hand can lead to tragedy, especially in riskier situations.
One of the leading causes of work-related injuries is contact with objects. This could include:
- Struck against an object
- Struck by an object
- Caught in an object or equipment
- Caught in collapsing material
Objects that fall, roll, fly, slide, slip and swing can do serious damage to a person. Workers in agriculture, construction and manufacturing are most at risk.
These Injuries can be Prevented
Inattention to surroundings and being distracted can lead to injury, as does faulty equipment, lack of proper training, improper behavior by workers, or lack of workplace assessments and housekeeping.
Paying attention is vitally important for those operating machinery, as well as those working around it. Here are some tips employees can use to help prevent injury from contact with objects:
- Check forklifts before use to make sure they are in safe operating condition
- Securely and neatly store loose materials
- Secure items that are stored at a height
- Store heavy objects close to the floor
- Never reach into a machine or around a machine guard
- Wear the proper personal protective equipment for your environment, such as steel-toed shoes, and eye protection etc.
- Always walk behind moving equipment if possible
- Never obstruct your vision by overloading moving equipment
- Only operate equipment you are properly trained to use
- Make sure all safety devices on your equipment are in good working order before use
- Use extra caution around corners and near doorways
- When large equipment is being operated, always make eye contact with the operator before approaching
- Secure all loads and lift them evenly to prevent them from slipping